Horticultural Workshops at Core Landscapes
- For people with lived experience of mental ill health
- For people who like to learn in a structured way
- For people with gardening experience who can support others in their learning
These workshops are for people who would like to feel more confident about gardening and are complete beginners, or people who have a little gardening knowledge but would like to build on skills they have.
Core Landscapes Horticultural Workshops are delivered by experienced and qualified gardeners, and social and therapeutic horticulturalists, who are extremely passionate about the value gardening can bring to the quality of life and mental wellbeing. It is a structured and supported programme of practical horticultural sessions with clearly identified aims and objectives. Each session will give you a good understanding of gardening topic, and the skills to try out new ways of growing and exploring new plants.
The programme consists of 9 sessions over a 10-week period throughout spring, summer and autumn. It includes a group visit to another garden for added inspiration. People then may be able to continue their learning at their own pace in the Green Care sessions at Core Landscapes garden and plant nursery.
- All about the soil – from compost making to liquid feeds
- Sowing new seeds – indoors and outdoor techniques
- New plants from old – lots of propagation top tips
- Herbs for window boxes – things you can try at home
- Food all year round – including the winter months
- Pest and disease control (organically) – no need for chemical sprays
- Seasonal Inspiration and lots more…
Gardening has been proved time and time again to boost mental wellbeing and the skills learnt also help to promote confidence and self-esteem. The garden is a safe space to meet new people and new plants, building up experience and knowledge of many different plants and to get the best from them.
Core Landscapes has a medicinal plants area, food growing plots, wildlife pond, container orchard, plant nursery, greenhouse, poly-tunnel, design and construction area, drought tolerant planting areas and acid loving plant display. Everything is creatively grown in containers, as Core Landscapes needs to move from site to site when the land it is housed on gets developed. It moved to its current site in Whitechapel from Canning Town in 2017 and began in 2009.
For more information or to refer a client please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Or take a look at our leaflet.
Other workshops on offer…
Core Landscapes can also deliver bespoke workshops to community groups on all aspects of community gardening and horticultural skills depending on the needs of the group.
- Short training sessions/workshops: Workshops are designed around the groups needs on any area of community or school gardening. E.g. *Designing and setting up *Funding *Container Growing *Food Growing all year round *Propagation
- Short taster sessions (approx 1hr) at Core Landscapes site (£50)
- Half day sessions up to 2-3hrs long (£150 for community groups)
- Full day sessions up to 5 hrs long (£250 for community groups)
Corporate or private individuals please contact Core Landscapes directly for prices and packages
Previous Workshop examples:
- “Emotional Resilience on the Ground” on behalf of the Social Farms and Gardens Network for community gardeners and managers
- “Propagating Herbs” on behalf of Royal London Hospital for patients living with dementia
- “Healing Herbs” delivered by Hackney Herbal for local community members
- “Crops to Grow in Winter” bespoke workshop for William Pattern Garden
- “Medicinal Plants” delivered by Hedge Herbs for local community members
- “Meadow Growing” bespoke workshop for Ghandi Chaplin Garden